In February’s edition of MBR magazine, the Giant Anthem 27.5 3 has been awarded the best sub-£1500 full suspension trail bike. Pitted against similar bikes from Trek, Marin and Scott, the bikes were put through their paces at Dalby Forest, in the North York Moors, with the Anthem 27.5 3 coming out as a clear winner in the group test. MBR noted the Anthem had “a real turn of speed and precision on twisty trails, married with excellent parts”.
One of the key features of the 2016 Giant Anthem 27.5 3 is the super lightweight ALUXX SL frame engineered specifically for 27.5 wheels and 100m of suspension. MBR were quick to praise the frame on the Anthem, noting it “wouldn’t look out of place at any price point” as well as highlighting that it was easily the lightest frame on the test, weighing in at nearly 1kg less than its rivals.
The award-winning Maestro suspension, which helps to smooth out the overall ride, also received praise, “the rear suspension has a very supple feel with excellent climbing traction and bump isolation.” While the Giant S-XC2 wheels, which also weighed in as the lightest in the test, “accelerated rapidly” and were a “solid” choice.
Overall, the complete package of the Anthem was what won over the testers and made it stand out from the others at the £1500 price point:
MBR Magazine, February 2016
With its stiff, quiet, drivetrain, precise gear changes and speedy wheels, in terms of pure riding experience, it comes across like a way more expensive bike than its rivals here.
View the 2016 Giant Anthem 27.5 3 Mountain Bike
- Handlebar - Giant Connect XC, 19mm rise, 690mm
- Stem - Giant Connect
- Seatpost - Giant Connect, 30.9mm
- Saddle - Giant Contact Forward
- Shifters - Shimano Deore 20 speed
- Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
- Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore Shadow+
- Brakes - Shimano M395 160mm
- Brake levers - Shimano M396
- Cassette - Shimano HG50 11x36
- Chain - KMC X10
- Crankset - Shimano Deore 24/38
- Sizes - S, M, L, XL
- Colors - Blue / Black
- Frame - ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 100mm travel Maestro Suspension
- Fork - RockShox Recon Gold RL Solo Air, 100mm travel, 15mm Axle, Tapered
- Shock - RockShox Monarch R
- Bottom bracket - Shimano Press Fit
- Rims - Giant S-XC 2 27.5" Wheelset
- Hubs - Giant Tracker [F] QR15 [R] QR
- Spokes - Stainless steeltiresSchwalbe Racing Ralph, 27.5x2.25" Performance Wire
Got a question?
Send it to us on Facebook or Twitter, using the hashtag #askRC.