The once-flagship Scott carbon fibre road bike continues to become more attainably priced, bringing superior spec carbon set-up and quality components within reach of those looking for a serious road bike that can be used for a variety of riding. The CR1 Team is as fast as it looks but more comfortable than Scott’s top-level precision race bikes, offering a do-it all platform for under £2000.
Scott CR1 Team Compact Road Bike. Just £1898.99.
The taller front end on the CR1 Team makes for a better all-day option with its more forgiving riding position and boosts confidence on fast descents and makes climbs easier. The compliance through the carbon frame is noticeable on poor surfaces and the CR1 offers that floating feeling you get with Scott tube sets. This combined with the more relaxed geometry means you can enjoy this bike right the way through the spectrum of riding, from leisurely rides and long training runs, to serious out-of-the-seat sprints and Sunday sportives. The carbon forks, mixed with the wider bars and higher front give a real sense of security when braking hard, especially downhill, and tight turns are effortless, tracking true and confidently through the corner. This is a comfortable bike that inspires confidence and will suit most riders needs as their sole machine.
FRAME AND FORKS
Scott know their carbon fibre and it shows on all their bikes. They’re masters of light weight, and this bike is very light. What’s more, this platform was once Scott’s flagship set-up but has now been shifted down the range to make this more of an all-day bike with more comfort than an out-and-out race bike. There seems to be nominal compromise on performance by way of its comfort geometry, yet the real benefit here is a more attainable price point but with the spec and set-up of what was a top level piece of kit just a couple of years ago.
Scott’s level of research and development is always apparent in their carbon frames, and in the CR1 Team you get a great deal of compliance in Scott’s tube set, designed into the down tube and seat tube join, making rough road surfaces more comfortable to attack, yet you still feel the appropriate level of stiffness once you get out of the saddle and put power through that Shimano drivetrain. This is thanks to its chunky bottom bracket controlling those torsional forces and keeping everything stable and tight. Meanwhile, up front, the carbon forks further aid the CR1 Team’s effortless control and help reduce more weight, as does full carbon drop outs front and rear.
Buy the Scott CR1 Team >>
To bring you this exceptional high-spec, full carbon fibre frame at under two grand, Scott offer this with the full Shimano 105 groupset and brake kit. But it can be purchased with higher spec Ultegra and DuraAce components, although there’s not much in it, other than perhaps weight and a slightly more precise feel to the shift. The 105 kit are no budget components, however, and offer great performance and braking is stable and reliable. The CR1 Team comes with full syncros finishing kit, Shimano wheel set and a carbon fibre seat post, making it look and feel every bit a bike worth more than its £1899 price tag.
The CR1 Team comes complete with a Syncros finishing kit.
BEST SUITED TO
This is the perfect bike for those wanting to spend long hours in the saddle, whether on leisurely ride-outs with mates, all-day sportives or a weekend of hill-climbing. The CR1 Team offers an impeccable platform to build upon and upgrade, as the highest quality components will never outshine that carbon fibre tube set. But leave it as it is, and you’ll still have a serious road bike worthy of any Sunday meet, and one that will always draw admiring glances.
A compliant, all-day carbon fibre bike for long days in the saddle, but ready to put the power down at any time you want and give a more expensive machine a ride for its money.
Buy the Scott CR1 Team >>
SCOTT CR1 TEAM FRAME GEOMETRY
SCOTT CR1 TEAM – FULL SPECIFICATION
- Frames: Scott CR1 HMF NET IMP Carbon technology Road Comfort geometry INT BB
- Fork: Scott CR1 HMF NET 1 1/8 " Carbone steerer Integrated Carbon Dropout
- Front Hub: F: Shimano WH RS10-A R: Shimano WH RS10-A
- Rear Hub: F: Shimano WH RS10-A R: Shimano WH RS10-A
- Rims: Shimano WH RS10-A 16 Front / 20 Rear
- Spokes: Shimano WH RS10-A
- Front Tyre: Continental Ultra Race FOLD 700 x 23
- Rear Tyre: Continental Ultra Race FOLD 700 x 23
- Shifters: Shimano 105 Black ST-5700 Dual control 20 Speed
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 FD-5700 Black
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 Black RD-5700A 20 Speed
- Chainset: Shimano 105 Compact Black FC-5750 Hollowtech II 50 x 34
- Cassette: Shimano TIAGRA CS-4600 12-30 T
- Chain: Shimano 105 CN-5701
- Bottom Bracket: INT Dura Ace SM-BB9141
- Front Brake: Shimano 105 BR-5700 Black Super SLR Dual pivot
- Rear Brake: Shimano 105 BR-5700 Black Super SLR Dual pivot
- Saddle: SYNCROS RP2.0
- Seat Post: Syncros Carbon RR1.2 31.6/300 mm
- Handlebars: Syncros RR2.0 Anatomic 31.8 mm
- Stem: Syncros FL2.0 1-1/8" / four Bolt 31.8 mm
- Headset: Ritchey PRO Int. Cartridge