A superb entry-level road bike with serious intentions, Trek’s 1.2 would make a great training bike or a commuter but is very much a racer through and through and built using the same competition-winning geometry and ride-tuned frame design as its bigger brothers. Fitted with transponder mounts on the fork and all-weather mudguard fixing points the 1.2 makes no bones about its aspiration as a bike for putting in the miles and offers great value for a sub-£700 road bike.
The Trek 1.2. Just £699.99 on the road.
The feel from the saddle on the 1.2 is that of the firm’s higher end bikes, and you may have to stop and get off to check you haven’t accidentally left the shop with a higher-spec model. The level of performance from the frame when powering hard is easily comparable with that of a four-figure machine, and gear shifts are slick and precise to the point where you don’t consider them, they just happen, leaving you to focus on eking out that extra few seconds on your mile. The Trek 1.2 has a tough frame that’ll take the hardest of road surfaces yet still offers more than enough feedback through its receptive carbon forks and alloy frame. Steering and braking is confident and the bike feels planted through fast sweepers yet nimble in the tighter direction changes.
FRAME AND FORK
Trek’s Alpha lightweight aluminium frame uses the same ride-tuned design as the firm’s hardcore racers like the Madone or Domane, drawing strength from its sleek, hydro-formed Alpha 100 series aluminium tubeset. This bike perfectly illustrates how years of multi-million pound R&D and its resulting technology can filter down from the company’s £3-4000 flagship road bikes, proven successful in professional tours, and turn the entry-level models into bikes offering exceptional value when compared to the equivalent from just a few years back. The H2 geometry is now used throughout the range, confirming the thoroughbred even at this price point. And yet holding that Bontrager-approved aluminium front wheel is a pair of aero carbon forks, helping reduce overall weight and making for effortless and agile cornering.
Despite the 1.2’s lower price tag, you’re still getting a great Shimano Sora groupset, with an FSA compact chainset and 9-speed SRAM cassette, giving you an 18-speed set-up. This bike benefits from Shimano’s new STI levers for an even slicker shifting experience, new for 2013, and mounted to a quality Bontrager alloy race-spec drop-bar, which is wrapped in Trek’s endurance Gel Cork tape for added comfort.
Shimano Sora STI Shifters[/caption] Bontrager finishing kit ups the level of refinement on the 1.2 with a high quality perch and fantastic aluminium rims. All in all, combined with the level of race-performance frame and forks, this equates to remarkable value on the Trek 1.2 Compact.
For a first road bike, the Trek 1.2 Compact offers a surprisingly good springboard into the exciting world of road cycling, bringing the amateur rider right up to speed, literally, with the rest of the group and at a fraction of the price.
The Trek 1.2
is an affordable inauguration into road cycling, offering a versatile beginner's platform, whether your designs are on competition, commuting or carefree cruising.
TREK 1.2 FRAME GEOMETRY
TREK 1.2 – FULL SPECIFICATION
- Colours: Crystal White/Black Titanite
- Sizes: 47cm, 50cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 60cm, 62cm
- Frame: 100 Series Alpha Aluminium
- Fork: Trek carbon road, SpeedTrap compatible
- Wheels: Aluminium hubs w/Bontrager Approved aluminium rims
- Front Tyre: Bontrager T1, 700x23c
- Rear Tyre: Bontrager T1, 700x23c
- Shifters: Shimano Sora STI, 9 speed
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora, 34.9mm clamp
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora
- Chainset: FSA Vero 50/34 (compact)
- Cassette SRAM PG-950 11-28, 9 speed
- Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
- Front Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes w/Shimano 2300 STI levers
- Rear Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes w/Shimano 2300 STI levers
- Brake Levers: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes w/Shimano 2300 STI levers
- Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
- Seat Post: Bontrager Race, 20mm offset
- Handlebars: Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
- Grips: Bontrager Gel Cork tape
- Stem: Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm, 10 degree
- Headset: 1-1/8" semi-cartridge bearings
- Pedals: Nylon body w/aluminium cage
- Extras: Mudguard & rack mounts