The Trek 3700 Disc is a popular sight at Rutland Water as it’s been the staple on our hire fleet for a number of years, providing hundreds and thousands of miles of simple off-road fun for so many different types of riders. Trek say their 3-series bikes are the world’s best-selling mountain bikes, too, and there has to be a good reason for that. And that reason is that you get a lot of bike for very little money.
[caption id="attachment_4551" align="alignnone" width="556"]
The Trek 3700. £399.99 on the road.[/caption]
This is a simple, fun bike that anyone can jump on and tear off through the woods on. We love these bikes because of the way they offer such familiarity to anyone who’s ever ridden a mountain bike, as this is the quintessential, traditional hardtail platform, before pivoted swing-arms, rear suspension and fully adjustable damping became common place. For that reason the Trek 3700 offers a really fun ride that’s reminiscent of the kind of fun you had on bikes when you were a kid. Day after day, the Trek 3700 will keep you grinning like a Cheshire cat. But don’t take our word for it, as you can always make your way down to Rutland Water and have a go on one yourself.
FRAME AND FORKS
This is a no-nonsense machine, designed without frills but with sheer pragmatic design at its core, and that design brief focused on creating a tough yet light frame with relatively low-maintenance forks offering a degree of adjustability, to make the 3-series fit as many riders as possible. The frame itself is formed from Trek’s light Alpha aluminium tubes, chunky in the right places such as the head, down tube and bottom bracket, making it a tough and resilient platform, while the hardtail set-up minimises peripheral weight and retains a simple frame that does the job and makes looking after it all that more easy. The frame’s geometry is designed to accommodate a broad gamut of riders, to make this bike as accessible as it has become, but is essentially a beginners mountain bike and offers the perfect introduction to trail riding for almost all shapes and sizes of rider.
Up front, Suntour coil sprung forks, with tough 30mm stanchions, are adjustable for preload so you can set the bike up based on your weight and riding style, yet are simple enough to maintain and keep the overall price tag low.
The reason this is the best-selling trail bike, and the reason we stock our demo and test fleet with them, is quite simply that the 3700 is a very low maintenance, solid performer. When you consider how many miles, how many bumps, bangs, knocks and drops these bikes have had on our fleet, you can see why we swear by them. The odd routine cable change, brake pad replacement and clean and lube is all we need to do to keep these bikes on the road (well, off the road...). And this is all thanks to Treks choice of uncomplicated and durable mechanics, such as the Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes, which grip wavey-style discs, a design that helps to keep the brakes mud-free as you ride. Quality Shimano Tourney gears feature an 8-speed cassette and a triple chainset that gives you a full, wide spread of 24 gears, all swiftly selected from the bar-mounted thumb shifters.
This is the perfect introduction to trail riding and the ideal do-it-all fun bike for those not looking to get into lycra just to go for a ride or wanting a long list of acronyms and spec to reel off at the café rather than actually ride. This really is the Land Rover of trail bikes: dependable, no-nonsense, fixable and fun.
The perfect beginners trail bike. The Trek 3700
is the world’s best-selling hardtail for good reason, promising fantastic value, great looks and a name you can trust on the frame.
TREK 3700 DISC FRAME GEOMETRY
TREK 3700 DISC – FULL SPECIFICATION
- Colours: Metallic Black/True Blue, Platinum
- Sizes: 13", 16", 18", 19.5", 21"
- Frame: Alpha Silver Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, rack & mudguard mounts, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
- Fork: SR Suntour XCM w/30mm stanchions, coil spring, preload adjustment, 100mm travel
- Wheels: Formula DC20 aluminium front hub. Formula DC22 aluminium rear hub w/Bontrager AT-650 32-hole double-walled disc rims
- Front Tyre: Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0"
- Rear Tyre: Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0"
- Shifters: Shimano Tourney, 8 speed
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera
- Chainset: Shimano M131, 42/34/24
- Cassette Shimano HG20 12-32, 8 speed
- Front Brake: Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes w/Shimano Tourney levers
- Rear Brake: Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes w/Shimano Tourney levers
- Brake Levers: Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes w/Shimano Tourney levers
- Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 1
- Seat Post: Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 12mm offset
- Handlebars: Bontrager Riser, 25.4mm, 30mm rise
- Grips: Bontrager SSR
- Stem: Bontrager Approved, 25.4mm, 25 degree
- Headset: 1-1/8" threadless
- Pedals: Wellgo nylon platform
- Extras: Rack & mudguard mounts
- Weight: Not Specified