If you're in the market for an electric road bike then look no further, we have gathered together all of the best E-Road bikes to give you a full guide to the world of electric road bikes.
So, what is an E-Bike? An E-Bike is a pedal-assisted bike, this means the battery and motor are only engaged once the pedals are turned. E-Bikes are limited to 15mph (25kmph) so the motor will cut out past this point but for most rides on road this will be more than enough to keep you breezing up the climbs and riding further than ever.
How does an E-Bike work?
As mentioned previously, an E-Bike has a battery and motor that are integrated or attached to the frame and allow you to select the level of assistance you require. There are many different motors and batteries on the market, some of the main brands you will see on E-Bikes are Shimano, Bosch, Fazua and Brose.
Differences between E-Road Bikes
It's a common assumption that all electric road bikes are the same, but there are different types created for different riders. On the one hand we have out-and-out electric road bikes, these bikes are designed to be ridden with the battery and motor working the whole time, they are larger, and heavier than other road bikes. The purpose for these bikes are for those who want assistance on the whole of the ride, not just for short periods of time. These bikes are perfect for those who have only just started cycling or those coming back to the sport after a long period off or recovering from illness/injury.
The second type of electric road bike is the lightweight bike. These bikes have a less powerful motor but are only designed to give you a gradual level of assistance up those steeper climbs. These motors are also designed to have zero friction when you reach speeds above 15mph, this means if you are cycling fast on the flat or descending, it will be just like riding a normal road bike. So, who are these bikes designed for? These bikes are aimed at those cyclists who have been riding for a while but still struggle on the climbs, they come with light frames that will feel and ride just like their non-electrical counterparts. Some E-road bikes even have the option to remove the battery and place a cover on your down tube so you can use the bike without any assistance.
Why should I buy an E-Bike?
There are a multitude of reasons why you may want to use an E-Bike; great for getting back into cycling after and illness or injury, you can't keep up on the local club runs but don't want to miss out, you want to enjoy riding again after many years away from it, or your commute is just too long to cycle the whole way with no assistance. E-bikes open up so many more opportunities and allow you to ride further, faster and for longer.
If you're wanting something with a bit more variety, Bianchi have created the electric gravel bike. Equipped with 40c tyres, the Impulso E-Allroad is built for those off-road adventures with even more speed and power.
Bianchi Impulso E-Allroad Ultegra/105 2018 Electric Road Bike
Explore every back road and gravel track with ease, the Bianchi Impulso E-Allroad combines a performance Ultegra equipped all road machine with the powerful assistance of Bianchi's Polini system to make an all day epic a reality for everyone.
- Frame - 6061 Aluminium
- Fork - Full Carbon 12x100mm
- Drivetrain - Shimano Ultegra 22 Speed
- Brakes - Shimano RS505 Hydraulic Disc
- Motor - Polini EP3
- Battery - Polini 500Wh
All other E-Road bikes
Focus Paralane2 9.7 2019 Carbon Electric Road Bike
Light and agile, but with an extra push, when support is needed: the removable motor/battery unit is decoupled from the drive and only noticeable when it makes the ride easier.
- Frame - Carbon SL E-Road, disc, road boost 148x12 mm through axle, RAT Evo technology
- Fork - Carbon, disc, road boost 110x12 mm RAT through axle, RAT Evo Technology
- Drivetrain - Shimano Ultegra
- Brakes - Shimano Ultegra R8020 hydraulic disc 160 mm
- Motor - FAZUA evation, 60 Nm, 250 W
- Battery - FAZUA evation, 250 Wh, removeable
Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc 2019 Carbon Electric Road Bike
Seemless integration and high end performance combine with Cube's Agree Hybrid C:62, revolutionising the way you tackle the road.
- Frame - C:62 Advanced Twin Mold Technology Aero Frame, Flat Mount Disc, Road Comfort Geometry, AXH, 12x142mm
- Fork - CUBE Agree Hybrid C:62 Race, One Piece 3D-Forged Steerer/Crown, Carbon Blades, 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Tapered, Flat Mount, 12x100mm
- Drivetrain -Shimano 105 RD-R7000-DGS 2x11 Speed
- Brakes - Shimano 105 BR-R7070, Hydr. Disc Brake, Flat Mount 160mm
- Motor - Fazau Evation 1.0 Drive Pack, 60Nm, 250Watt
- Battery - Fazau Evation 1.0 Battery, 250Wh
- Display - Fazau Evation 1.0 Remote, 31.8mm Road Bar Clamp
Trek Domane + 2019 Electric Road Bike
Trek's Domane + has a removable integrated battery system that looks great and is super user-friendly and will push you beyond your expectations.
- Frame - 500 Series OCLV Carbon
- Fork - Domane+ carbon steer and crown
- Shock - n/a
- Drivetrain - SRAM Force 1
- Brakes - SRAM Force flat mount hydraulic disc
- Motor - Bosch Performance Cruise, 250 watt, 63Nm, 25 kph
- Battery - Bosch PowerTube 500wh
- Display - Bosch Purion Performance
Giant Road E+ 1 Pro 2019 Electric Road Bike
The Giant Road-E +1 Pro is as fast as it looks with a powerful electric motor providing 250W of power and 80Nm of torque.
- Frame - ALUXX SL-grade aluminum
- Fork - Advanced-grade composite, OverDrive2 steerer, 12x100QR
- Drivetrain - Shimano Ultegra
- Brakes - Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc, 160mm
- Motor - Giant SyncDrive Pro
- Battery - Giant EnergyPak 500
- Display - Giant RideControl EVO
E-Bike guides and helpView all E-Road bikes >
Find your nearest Rutland Cycling store
We have 6 dedicated E-Bike centres across the Midlands where you can view our extensive range of E-Bikes and speak to our expert staff. Find out more here.
THE RUTLAND DIFFERENCE
FREE DELIVERY OVER £10
30-DAY TEST RIDE