A little rain never hurt anybody. Riding a Turbo all winter long may seem like a great idea at first. However, after a few laps of Watopia, you will want to be on the open road again. Fate has it that you will get caught out in the rain thanks to the British Weather. In this guide, we will go through the essential items of clothing and accessories that will turn your rainy rides into a more enjoyable experience.
Wet weather riding should no longer be seen as a chore and should be viewed as another cycling experience to add to your plethora of skills. It involves a little more thought and concentration making it a bit different from normality therefore enhancing the enjoyability.
Clothing Essentials -
Breathable, durable and bright clothing is essential when riding in the rain. You need to ensure you are comfortable as well as still being seen by other road users. Here at Rutland cycling, We have a large selection of clothing to keep you on the move, whatever the weather!
We also cater for the Mountain cyclist who enjoys the thrill of riding in the rain. From waterproof jackets to overshoes we can ensure that you are fully equipped and ready to tackle whatever the british terrain throws at you.
Neck and upwards
Your helmet will protect you from impact but not the british weather unfortunately. Cycling caps are designed to fit under your helmet and protect your head from the scorching sun, blustery breezes and wretched rain. They are also quite useful at hiding your helmet hair when you nip into the local cafe for a cup of tea and a sticky bun. We offer thicker thermal ones for the winter as well as lighter sun protected caps for the summer.
Endura Pro SL Winter Cap Black
The Endura Pro SL winter cap, a thermal, windproof headwarmer to keep you on the road in the winter months!
- Luxurious Thermoroubaix� panels with PFC Free DWR M� treatment provide insulation, comfort and water repellency
- Low profile stretch binding
- Reflective trim
Endura BaaBaa Merino Tech Tube
The versatile BaaBaa Merino Tech multitube utilises natural insulation to keep you warm this winter.
- A snug fit means the multitube can be worn under a helmet.
- High warmth to weight ratio makes it perfect for winter.
- Naturally odour resistant.
For the winter months, the road is often full of foreign objects that do not have a place in our eyes. Grit, silt, mud and stones are all objects we would rather not have to stop and pick out of our eyes for hours. Shop our range of glasses and sunglasses to give your eyes the best protection possible!Shop all Cycling Eyewear here!
Jackets and Jerseys
Rain isn't an issue you should worry about - as long as you're prepared for it. Commuting, Road riding or Mountain cycling - we have a jacket to cater for your specific needs. On hot UK Summer days, the jackets often fold up into little pouches for you to easily carry in a pannier or backpack. However, In winter we advise you find a thermal and lightweight waterproof for you to wear all day. Either way - here are a few of our favourites to keep you out on your bike, in the rain.
Endura MT500 Waterproof Jacket II
There's fantastic breathability and monster durability. Packed full of features for an epic MTB ride, or a piece of mind commute to work.
- Exceptionally breathable and durable ExoShell40DR 3-Layer waterproof fabric in a fully seam-sealed construction
- Durable shoulders with silicone grip and ergonomically positioned stretch panels
- 3D adjustable helmet compatible hood
Gore Gore-Tex Paclite Jacket Mens
For urban, commute or road cycling this packable, lightweight, wet weather Gore-Tex Paclite jacket is made for variable riding conditions.
- Durably waterproof, totally windproof, extremely breathable
- Gore-Tex Paclite Plus product - ultralight and robust
- Contemporary look
The above jackets are taken directly from our AW20 Range and are designed to withstand the harshest of British Winters. On the other hand, Below are a few packable, durable and lightweight jackets that are also waterproof but maybe not as windproof. These would be perfect for carrying around for a just in case moment.
Endura Pakajaks are featherweight windproof shells which offer incredible practicality and functionality. Perfect for day trips in unpredictable British weather!
- Packs down to a back pocket friendly size
- Ultra-lightweight and windproof ripstop fabric
- Laser cut bonded stormflap
Endura Windchill Jacket II
Endura's Windchill jacket ensures winter windproof protection for any type of cycling - urban, trail, commute or open road.
- Stretch windproof thermal grid-backed fabric throughout for exceptional warmth
- Road, gravel or trail friendly fit
- Large zipped underarm vents aid temperature regulation
Red raw hands from rain is possibly one of the worst things known to mankind. It makes shifting and breaking uncomfortable and if you have to change a puncture they become unbareable. Why wait for your hands to warm up, next to a radiator when you get home, when you can have warm hands throughout your ride? Having windproof gloves is a necessity to being comfortable; if your hands are warm when you put the gloves on then they will stay warm.
Endura Strike Glove HiViz Yellow
Endura's Strike gloves are a low bulk waterproof all-rounder with gel palm padding to keep you riding all year round.
- Fully Waterproof
- Finished with an extended cuff, with Velcro adjuster for great fit and warmth
- Full finger terry sweat wipe and reflective prints for night time visibility.
GORE C3 GORE-TEX INFINIUM Stretch Mid Gloves
Combining tactility and warmth with a 3D pre-shaped construction, this glove will stretch and move with you.
- GORE-TEX INFINIUM� Product: totally windproof, extremely breathable and water resistant
- Optimized for gloves-on use with touchscreen devices
- Four-way stretch for ultimate movement and versatility with slim and snug cuff construction will not move during activities
Lower Body Wet Weather Protection
Luckily, Lycra tends to dry out quite fast compared to other materials. We would advise getting some water resistant bib tights to wear on your lower half as these will keep your legs warmer for longer. There are a variety of options for shorter rides and commutes where staying clean, dry and warm is absolutely essential. Moreover, we also have solutions for longer rides on or off road.
Endura MT500 Spray Trouser
Here's Endura's MT500 Spray Baggy trousers for all terrain rugged performance and the all important, critical seat panel weather protection.
- Lightweight durable 4-way stretch front panels
- DWR finish
- Waterproof 3 layer seam taped rear panels for tyre spray protection
Gore C3 Partial Gore-Tex Infinium Thermo Tights+
For thermal commute or road cycling insulation, these C3 Partial Gore-Tex Infinium Thermo tights are water resistant.
- Water resistant, partially windproof, extremely breathable
- Designed for cool weather
- Close to the body fit not restricting freedom of movement
Endura Pro SL Bibtight II
PRO SL Bibtights II by Endura: Definitive bib tights that are perfect for cooler climates with award-winning pad technology.
- 4-way high stretch windproof, breathable fabric with DWR finish front and seat panels
- Luxurious Thermoroubaix panels with PFC DWR M treatment provide insulation, comfrot and water repellency
- supportive cosy-touch mesh upper with high stretch Lycra bound straps
Keep the heat in your feet
Merino Wool socks are often the best choice of sock for Winter thanks to its ability to remain: Odourless, thermal; and most importantly fast drying. This natural fabric can often be combined with synthetic fabrics which enhances how breathable the sock is but also increases how thermal the sock can remain.
Endura BaaBaa Merino Winter Sock
The Endura BaaBaa Merino Winter Sock, made of a high density Merino blend body, is an essential for the colder seasons.
- Padded sole for extra comfort
- Soft, itch-free comfort
- High warmth to weight ratio even when wet
Water resistant shoes are often difficult to come by. To stop your feet from getting drenched from the spray you will need to invest in some waterproof overshoes. If you can stop the wind and rain getting at your shoes and subsequently your feet, your suffering on the bike will be dramatically decreased.
Endura Road Overshoe HiViz Yellow
Endura's best selling Road overshoe with waterproof neoprene which insulates and protects your feet from the rain and cold.
- Crank rub protection print
- Hard wearing stitching using aramid thread
- Reflective rear zip tape
Staying safe by being seen
When out cycling, we advise you to run a strobing set of daytime running lights. This is because the irregular flashes of light allow other motorists to spot you faster. This couldn't be more true when it comes to getting caught out in the rain. To avoid a dangerous situation a set of lights will heavily increase your chances of being seen especially when the downpour is heavy. In winter, we would often suggest a more powerful set of lights due to the darkness that comes with a lousy winters day.
Cateye HL-EL135 and ORB Light Set
Simple, strong and exceptional value for money, Cateye have combined the HL-EL135 front light and ORB rear light to shine through the busy streets on the ride to work; the ultimate commuter light set.
- Recharge time: Front - 320Hrs on Flashing Mode, Rear - 100Hrs
- 2x Alkaline AA Batteries
- Good day time running lights
Moon Meteor Storm Lite and Nebula Light Set
By combining the Meteor Storm Lite and Nebula, Moon have created an unstoppable light set that can take on all set before it, with a combined output of 1280 lumens.
- Recharge time: Front - 105Hrs on Flashing Mode, Rear - 20Hrs
- Front - 1100 Lumens, Rear - 180 Lumens
- Memory mode, easy to read display
Furthermore, the accessories you carry with you ought to have elements of reflective strips combined with a bright luminous colour. This will allow other road users to clearly define the shape of a cyclist. In this image below, we can clearly see the effect of luminous clothing against a black background. Stay safe, Be seen!
Wet weather bicycle maintenance
Clothing isn't the only necessity you need to consider when riding in the rain. The natural acidity of the rain fused with the salt on the road will eventually lead to a failure of components if not treated correctly.
Chain's are one of the easiest components to rust considering they are exposed all year round. In order to get the longest life out of a chain, you need to ensure that it is maintained regularly using the correct equipment. Shop our Degreasers and Lubricants here to keep your chain healthy throughout winter.
Muc-Off Bike Care Essentials Starter Kit
Ideal starter kits for cleaning every inch of your bike. This Kit combines the bike cleaner, Bike spray, Component brush and Micro cell sponge for an effective clean while the storage bag keeps everything together when not in use.
- 1x Bike Cleaner (1L), 1x Bike Spray (500ml)
- 1x Wheel & Component Brush, 1x Microcell Sponge
- 1x Storage Bag
Muc-Off Drive Chain Cleaner
Finally a Chain Cleaner that can either be poured into a chain bath or sprayed on to the chain rings- rear cassette and derailleurs at the same time. This means it is a complete drivetrain cleaning solution.
- Breaksdow heaviest of dirt and grime.
- Works in partner with Muc-Off X-1 Chain Cleaning device or by itself.
- Ensures drivetrain stays running efficient tomaintain ultimate power transfer
Muc-Off Wet Lube
Muc-Off Wet Lube Ideal for winter riding- the Muc-Off Wet Lube has been specifically formulated in long distance wet or muddy riding.
- Ultra durable- long distance lubrication and protection
- Excels in long distance- wet or muddy conditions
- Repels water and inhibits rust and corrosion
To protect other components, including the rider, from getting covered in silt off the road, perhaps look into investing in a set of clip on mudguards. Mudguards are vital to reducing the amount of spray you get up your new outfit as well as protecting your frame and components further.
RRP EnduroGuard Mudguard
Simple is best. RRP's EnduroGuard is the simplest solution we've seen to stopping spray from finding its way to your face!
- Front or Rear Compatible
- Easily removeable and attachable
- Cable tied onto bike.
Topeak Defender M1 and M2 Mudguards
Amazingly easy to ?t - and remove later - these Topeak mudguards are the only true quick release!
- Compatible with all Forks
- Ultra-secure quick release mechanism
- Adjusts to fit your seatpost.
If you are commuting in the winter then it might be a good idea to read our Winter Commuting guide.