Regular Rutland Cycling customer Paul is a recent convert to road cycling and recently purchased his first pair of road shoes - a pair of Shimano R077s- from our Giant-Normanton shop at Rutland Water. His verdict: "great value, great fit - they've transformed my riding."
Paul writes: "Having just purchased a pair of Shimano R077 road shoes, I would like to let you know how they have performed on my first few rides out with them. Being a recent convert to road cycling I tend to go for short to mid distance rides and am looking at getting involved with some club based rides. As such, I required some shoes which would enhance my riding, having never really ridden with proper pedals and shoes before.
Overall, I must say I am very impressed with them. The Shimano R077 road shoe seems to fit the bill in both price and style. Upon purchase, I took the good advice to go up one size from my normal leisure shoe size as apparently Shimano always come up on the small side - this advice has proved to be spot on.
When I first tried the shoes on, I found the sole very stiff compared with my mountain bike shoes (also Shimano) and I wasn't sure if they would be comfortable on a longer ride. Again, the advice of the shop staff was spot on - the stiffer sole is actually ideal as it has given me a strong platform on which to push hard on to particularly on the climbs and makes my feet feel 'at one' with the bike. Together with the SPD-SL pedals which I bought at the same time, I have found the connection with the bike as a whole very firm and rewarding.
The three Velcro straps keep my feet in place and I could get the upper nice and tight over my foot again where it mattered by keeping my heel in place when climbing out of the saddle and pulling up on the pedal.
Now after a few rides out I have adapted well to the clipless pedal system and feel very comfortable with these shoes. As yet there is absolutely no sign of wear and the silver colour upper looks really good and stylish and is very easy to keep clean, although I will be investing in some overshoes for the winter so I can retain the good looks of the R077 road shoe.
Great value, great fit, and have transformed my riding."
- The Shimano R077 road cycling shoe is available along with the full Shimano range at our Giant-Normanton shop and online
- BikeRadar.com reviewed the Shimano R077 shoe and also gave it 4 out of 5: �yet another competent, supportive, comfortable and top-performing shoe from the Japanese component giants.� Read full review
- How to...ride with clipless pedals.
- Guide to cycling shoes and pedals.
- Cycle clothing from head to toes - our guide to what to wear where on a bike.
- How to choose bike lights - our helpful guide.
- Read more product reviews >