We're proud to be supporting the British Isles only one day international race, the CiCLE Classic. Now in its 10th year the race provides a full weekend of spectacular cycling. As part of the race weekend there are of number of opportunities to get yourself involved.
Join us on the Saturday for a Sportive ride along the race route itself, or simply watch the race on the Sunday.
With riders from every part of professional cycling including the Olympics, Commonwealth games and various continental based teams you won't want to miss the high paced action.
All this and more means that the 2014 CiCLE Classic Race is looking to be even bigger and better than ever before.
Ride on the various road, lanes and tracks that the professionals will be riding the very next day by entering the Dare2b Rutland CiCLE Tour Sportive on Saturday 26th April.
Enjoy a gentle ride from our Giant Store to Owston and back on Sunday 27th April to take in the full atmosphere of the race. Owston itself will be hosting a fete inspired event with a barbeque and tea available at the village hall. The race passes through Owston multiple times making it the perfect spot to observe the race.
Make sure you don't miss the start of the race where there will be catering and supporting events. The racers will then take in two laps of Rutland Water before returning to Oakham for the 'Hot Shot Sprint' along Oakham's high street.
Saturday 26th April 2014
Come and watch the pros tackle Britain's biggest and most spectacular road race and tackle the same route yourself with the Dare2b CiCLE Tour. With four different routes available there is something for everyone from the beginner all the way to professionals.
Throughout the CiCLE Classic event we will be offering exclusive discounts and events including a led ride from our Normanton store on the Sunday. Sportive entrants can also enter our competition to win two places in one of the support vehicles on race day!
We'll also be offering free bike safety checks, roadside repair sessions, nutrition talks and plans. Sign up to our Facebook page to stay up to date in the run-up to the race.
- 21 Miles - For completely new riders, less hilly than the other routes.
- 59 Miles - Ideal for those new to cycling and cyclo-sportives, but still hard enough to provide a personal challenge.
- 75 Miles - Picturesque lanes and villages, taking in not only Rutland but neighbouring Lincolnshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.
- 100 Miles - Almost 5000 feet of climbing and includes views of Rutland Water, the Vale of Belvoir, Belvoir Castle, Eyebrook Reservoir and the impressive Harringworth Viaduct.
- All routes except the shortest have a feed station, with two on the 100 mile route.
- Affiliated to Hope Against Cancer. Contact them to raise money for cancer research and join their ever growing group of fund raising riders.
- On the Sunday Giant Store Rutland will also be offering led rides from their store to watch key points of the International CiCLE Classic.
- Watch some of the top professional riders tackle some of the toughest roads in the area.
- Sportive entrants can enter our competition to win two places in one of the support vehicles for this race.
- Entrants will be able to take advantage of several offers from our sponsors and supporters, Dare 2b and Giant Store Rutland. Dare 2b will be offering a high quality event jersey at a large discount.
- Giant Store Rutland will be running special offer and led rides leading up to the event. This will include a free bike safety check, led familiarization ride, roadside repair sessions, nutrition talks and plans. There will also be good old-fashion discounts on many regularly used products, including on a Giant Starter Pack for new riders.
- This event is ran by ITP Events for more information click here
Sunday 27th April 2014
Junior CiCLE Classic Race - 9am
The local Kermesse race around the Owston area may now be gone, but new for 2014 Junior Men will get their own Junior CiCLE Classic. Taking in a 93 km route, the Junior CiCLE Classic will use the International race’s start point in the centre of Oakham for its own start and finish point, and will take in off road sectors to mimic the character of its namesake. The event has now been confirmed as a counting event in the British Cycling Junior Road Race series for 2014 and with its strong links with the International race it is expected that the event may well feature a number of Junior riders from foreign teams.
- Start: Oakham
- Finish: Oakham
CiCLE Classic Race - 11am
The date for the 2014 edition of the Rutland – Melton CiCLE Classic has now been confirmed by the Union Cycliste Internationale as Sunday 27th April. The event will continue to be listed currently as a UCI 1.2 category race. The 2013 edition saw Britain’s Ian Wilkinson, Team UK Youth become the first rider to win the race twice.
- Start: Oakham
- Finish: Melton Mowbray
Tags: Blog, Cycling, Events